Our next regular meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 25th at 10 a.m. in the College Station Barnes & Noble (if you'd like to see us before then come to the holiday party - see info in next section). Topic TBD. We'll also discuss news and provide encouragement. Gentle critique begins at 9:30 a.m. Bring copies of 5 double-spaced pages of your work in progress. Those who have time may go to lunch at a local restaurant. Members and friends welcome.
Brazos Valley Blooms VolunteeringHave you been searching for a new year's resolution? How about resolving to help with the upcoming SCBWI Brazos Valley regional conference? Signing up early for a volunteer task or position will help the organizers plan in advance and keep things running smoothly.
We have volunteer opportunities for all types:
- Gather door prizes and silent auction items
- Stand watch over the illustrators portfolio showcase (during the conference)
- Make name tags
- Assemble gift bags
- Prepare baked goods/snacks for the conference
- Stuff folders
- Greeters at the conference
- Drivers for faculty (or you can donate fund for a shuttle ride)
- Bookstore liason
- Airport shuttle for our speakers
- Snacks/food, coffee & tea to server at conference
- Consider regifting presents that were nice but just not your style to our silent auction
- Help spread the word about the conference in your town/community. Please sign up to put up flyers in your local bookstores, coffee shops, schools, etc and share the conference info throughout your social circle via email, social media, etc.
The Snowy DayThis morning NPR aired a wonderful story on the story of the story behind the classic children's book "The Snowy Day." Sorry, I couldn't help myself. To clarify, the piece was about "A Poem for Peter," written by Andrea Davis Pinkney, which covers the life of Ezra Jack Keats and the creation of "The Snowy Day." Give it a listen here.
That's it for this month's Scratch. Happy holidays!
Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the SCBWI.